Whether you’re completely new to church, or just new to the Anchorage Moravian Church, we’d like to extend a warm welcome to you. We’d love to meet you in person, so please do visit us on a Sunday or contact us at the office or Email me with any questions you have. Our main meetings together happen on Sunday early afternoon or evenings, but there is a lot more to church life that happens throughout the week.
The Anchorage Moravian Church is not affiliated with the Alaska Province nor the Worldwide Moravian Unity, but is a member organization of United Alaska Moravian Ministry Group (UAMM). On February 24, 2018 UAMM become a member of the Global Fellowship of Moravian Revival Churches which are quickly expanding Moravian heritage Churches with a revival, undefiled, and Evangelical focus in Seven (7) countries.
If you’re new to the Moravian Church in Alaska below is a summary of how the Moravian
Church came about in Anchorage, Alaska:
Moravians began ministry in Alaska in 1885 at the invitation of the Rev. Sheldon Jackson, a Presbyterian minister, accepting the invitation as a call from God to proclaim the gospel among the Yup’ik people. The first five missionaries reached the Kuskokwim River and held a worship service on June 21, 1885. The Rev. John Kilbuck was perhaps the most influential and capable missionary during those first years. In 1896, Rev. Kilbuk’s wife younger brother Dr. Joseph H. Romig, a Moravian missionary came to assist him in Bethel, Alaska. Later, Dr. Romig served in Dillingham (Nushagak) and then moved to Anchorage and became Mayor of Anchorage in 1937. In his honor, Romig Hill and Romig Middle School in Anchorage was named after him.
Over the years 22 congregations and fellowships have been established in Alaska, most of them in the Kuskokwim region. However, Moravian congregations are present also in Bristol Bay and in Anchorage.
The Anchorage Moravian Fellowship came to life in 1973 through the efforts of Brother Albert Romer who began to meet with fellow Moravians who had moved into the city of Anchorage, Alaska. They first met in a home in Anchorage. Soon afterwards, Brother Romer and his fellowship moved to 1st Covenant Church on C Street in Anchorage, where they felt they can minister on a more formal basis and reach Alaska’s Native people. After a time, Brother Romer moved the Moravian Fellowship to Turnagain United Methodist Church on Northern Lights Blvd. in west Anchorage, near Ted Stevens International airport, where he led as a Lay Pastor/Acoytle under call from the Alaska Moravian Church. By autumn of 1985, Lay Pastor August Alexie, who had Seminary training from the Moravian Seminary in Bethel, Alaska was appointed by the Alaska Provincial Board (APB), where he served ably until December 2000.
By 2000, it was felt that among the 27,000 natives living in Anchorage, Alaska, there may be many former Moravians interested in attending an organized Church. In autumn of 2000 the leaders of the Moravian Fellowship held organizational meetings. By early January 2001, the Anchorage Moravian Fellowship held their first Church Council meeting where they adopted Bylaws and elected their first officers. At that time the Fellowship formally became known as the Anchorage Moravian Church (AncMC), the first organized Moravian Church in Alaska’s largest city.
In autumn of 2001, the Joint Board issued a specific call for an ordained clergyman. The Rev. William Nicholson responded to the call in late autumn of 2001. Brother Nicholson was installed by Alaska Provincial Board Chairperson, The Rev. Issac Amik, in a worship service on December 16, 2001 at the Turnagain United Methodist Church. By November 2009 with an aggressive membership and building fund campaign, the AncMC leaders purchased its first Church building, parsonage, and grounds at 3512 Robin Street in East Anchorage. Historically this means that the AncMC became the first fully established, full program, Moravian Church in Anchorage. By 2009 Rev. William Nicholson was consecrated as a Bishop of the Moravian Unity.
Out growing the Robin Street church with 150 seats by autumn 2013, the AncMC moved into a 299 seat facility called Skyline Church, where they continued to grow the congregation. In February 2018 the AncMC moved into a 300 seat more beautiful facility at 2222 E. Tudor Road, called St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, where we currently hold our regular worship services.
Current scope of ministry
In November 2012 because of being far removed from rural Alaska and its “Spirit-filled” Missions emphasis, the AncMC is a member Church of United Alaska Moravian Ministry (UAMM), a Moravian Group in its creation was recognized by the Moravian Unity Board. But due to difficulties in reconciliation with the Alaska Province in August 2016 Moravian Synod moved to remove UAMM from the Moravian Unity.
During UAMM’s General Church Conference of January 2017, UAMM agreed that it must be free from the Unity and continue growing on its own. UAMM originally was made up of growing Moravian Fellowships and Churches in Manokotak, Big Lake, Kenai and Anchorage, but by February 4, 2018 has grown to 23 Fellowships and Churches, mainly located in south-central Alaska, one of which exists in Washington State near Seattle, and three Churches in Honduras. UAMM’s mission is to “Further the Gospel” on the Alaska highway system and to other non-Moravian areas of Alaska and to the world. Not affiliated with the Wordwide Moravian Unity in February 2018, UAMM became a member organization of the Global Fellowship of Moravian Revival Churches.
The Moravian Church in Anchorage invites anyone to worship, each Sunday, at 2 PM and Sunday night at 6:00 PM. The early afternoon worship service is a more traditional recognizable service, while the evening service has a contemporary non-denominational focus with singspiration and testimonies shared by believers who freely come from throughout Alaska. Sunday School is at 1 PM. A Bible study and prayer group meets each Wednesday evening 6 pm at Suite 224, 624 W International Airport Rd, near the corner of Arctic Blvd and International Airport Rd. And for those that need a place to enjoy good singing and testimonies after a busy week, a UAMM sponsored “Singstunde/Aturli” is held every Friday night at 6:00 PM at 3512 Robin Street, the old Red Moravian Church, still owned by the AncMC.
If anyone has any questions about the AncMC, or need pastoral assistance, please call the Church office at (907) 868-3177.
What Our Church Believes
As a United Alaska Moravian Ministry member Church, coming out of the Moravian heritage, we recognize the historic creeds of Christendom. We believe salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ and that the Christian Church is the fellowship of believers in what we call a “Living Church” (rather than Charismatic or Pentecostal) who share this experience. We accept the Bible’s full counsel as the instrument of God’s revelation of Himself and as the guide for Christians today.
Much of the spirit of the Moravian Church is understandable through a popular motto of the church – “In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, but in all things love”. The UAMM Churches are free autonomous Churches who believe in the person and work of the Holy Spirit, the giftings of the Holy Spirit and the Five-fold Ministry for today. A revival and Great Commission emphasis is its focus, without which the Church cannot make a difference for the Kingdom of God.